I am choosing to write my paper on the difference between
assimilation, accommodation and acculturation. I will be addressing how they
are different and why each one is important and why we need them in our life.
Assimilation is the process whereby people of a culture
learn to adapt to the ways of the majority culture. This means that they change
the way they act so they will be able to fit in and no one will know that they
come from a different culture. This is a huge thing in education because
children just want to fit in and know that they are accepted. When you move to
somewhere new you need to work hard to know that you are accepted and fit in
with a majority. It is a good thing to be different everyone brings a special
part to the classroom and helps teach others by the experiences that they have
had. We are not the ones who tell people what group they belong in it is all how
you chose to live your life. You are either a minority or a majority. Everyone
has a social class that they fit in you just to know where you fit in.
Accommodations a room or group of rooms in which ever one
may live or stay. In education, it is how you change or modify your lesson
plans for autistic students or for students with IEP, 504 plans. It is all in
how you handle a situation, it is defiantly a huge thing I have seen it as I
have been in the schools. I saw how a teacher changed her lesson plan to be a
little easier for one student and it was still the same amount of work just a
different type for him. I loved seeing how teachers are willing to help their
students succeed in any way they can. It was an eye opener for me because I
have never been in a class where they have done that. Where I come from they
put all the special people in a different class then the regular students. I
know that in one of my classes I had a super smart person who drove everyone
nuts and one day I was sick of hearing what he had to say because I had not the
slightest idea of what was going on so I told him to shut up and the teacher
thanked me later!
Acculturation is where you retain your own culture but
cannot remain isolated and are affected by the majority of the culture. You
adapt to some aspects of the majority culture. In America, we are mainly white
and Hispanic. It is all how you find where you fit in the culture. You should
try to adapt unless you don’t want to learn anything about where you are
staying or the culture. Acculturation is very important in helping you better
yourself and how you live. It is a great way to change the way you look at
people.
I think that you have every right to try to fit in with the
majority in the culture but I think you have the right to be who you are and
express yourself. I would adapt to the way of the culture but I am not going to
change who I am to become someone or something I am not. I know people who do
that and I don’t understand because if you are not being true to you than you
are not even living the life that you were born to live. You have the right to
live like you want but one silly mistake could change that and take everything
you have worked so hard for away. I also believe that you can do anything you
put your mind to. You must make accommodations in everything that you do
because if you don’t you will live a long hard life. When you move somewhere
new for instance you need to accommodate the new changes and the new adventures
that you are about to have. It isn’t going to be like what you have known. I
moved to North Dakota when I was twenty-one and that was defiantly a culture
shock to me because it wasn’t anything like I had ever known before. I had to
adapt to the new way of living I had to accommodate my needs and the needs of
another person who I was stuck with for who knew how long. It was amazing to me
to see how once you just start seeing how they live and just changing your ways
just a little to work with them. It makes life a whole lot easier.
Assimilation, accommodations and acculturation are very
important in everyday living because it is around us all the time even though
sometimes we don’t see it, it is there. It is a great eye opener. Just look
around and you can see the difference in people. Don’t judge them because they
are different everyone was raised differently and has a different background
but together we can work together to be on the same page.
No comments:
Post a Comment